Thursday, September 29, 2011

Today's Fuel

I recall a conversation I had with a former boss about performance evaluations and feedback.  He was quite a bit older and had been with the company for nearly 30 years.  When I told him employees needed positive reinforcement he replied, "When I was new I never needed anyone to tell me I was doing a good job. We just did our job and if we screwed up we heard about it."  Really?

I believe in positive reinforcement.  I believe in telling people they are doing a good job to perpetuate their behavior.  It's the same with my kids.  I also believe in positive reinforcement because it just feels good to be positive.  I selected a book from my bookcase this morning thinking about this idea.  It is called Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People by Rich DeVos.

The phrases are short, simple and easy-to-use in everyday life.  They are:
  1. I'm wrong.
  2. I'm sorry.
  3. You can do it.
  4. I believe in you.
  5. I'm proud of you.
  6. Thank you.
  7. I need you.
  8. I trust you.
  9. I respect you.
  10. I love you.
In business perhaps the last one is not as relevant, but take just a moment to reflect on how many times you could use these phrases to empower the people around you.  You can offer them fuel to ignite their fire of positivity and that energy perpetuates unto itself.

Many years later, in response to my former boss' comment, I finally have a comeback.  This, too, comes from Rich Devos' book.  There are enough "expert critics" in the world who only speak up about things that are wrong.  "Although people seem to need to vent and grumble at times, they are drawn to the positive and will follow those who blaze a positive trail."

So, today's fuel comes with a challenge.  Make a checklist of the phrases above and use them, from your heart, every single day of your life.  Look for opportunities to share these words with everyone and watch them light up.  You will be amazed at the abundant joy that comes back to you and the happiness that will surround you.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment